As-Salt: A historical day trip from Amman

As Salt Image 1

Preserving an old era, this historic city used to be part of the highway that connected Jordan to Palestine. Situated close to 1000 meters above sea level, As-Salt is predominately built on three main hills. They’re filled with mustard colored homes, narrow streets and many stairs – the city is full of undiscovered corners.

As Salt Image 2

To continue honoring it’s deeply rooted history, the As-Salt Municipality established the Salt Heritage Trail.Start at the Historic Old Salt Museum right on the main road or locally known as the Abu Jaber House. The Historical Museum has free admission and is adjacent to the visitor’s center.

As Salt Image 13As Salt Image 8As Salt Jordan

Hammam Street – Start off by heading to As-Salt’s oldest commercial zone, which continues to be a thriving market for your every day needs and trinkets from Jordan. In the heart of the souq, you’ll find a little opening to the left and a steep set of stairs (the Haddadin Stairs) – head upwards and off you go.

As Salt Image 4As Salt Image 6

Your first trail landmark will be Qaqish House, which was constructed in 1985 and was resided in by the Qaqish family until 1905. Now it serves as the office of As-Salt’s City Development Project.

As Salt Image 7

Al Jada’a Lookout – At the tip hill is Al Jada’a Lookout, this is the most picturesque vantage point overlooking the city towards the south. Make sure to take it all in. At every turn and every corner you’ll get the most precious views of the hills and beyond.

As Salt Image 9As Salt Image 10As Salt Image 3

The path will then start taking you downwards, towards Al-Khader Street. You’ll find yourself surrounded by a gigantic mural of portraits.

Wander the streets and not just the trail, you’ll be surprised to see that even unmarked buildings carry so much character.

As Salt City3As Salt City2As Salt City

If you’re planning on doing the trail (which is a must!), use this helpful map to guide you around the city!

On the way out, towards Amman stop at Oriental Cafe & Restaurant to get the most perfect panorama of Amman.

As Salt Image 16Oriental Cafe

11 thoughts on “As-Salt: A historical day trip from Amman

1. Shreya Saha says:

I am too intrigued by the old architecture of the torn-out city. That is surely a great day-trip from the capital of Jordan. I have been planning for Egypt and Jordan since long, I may visit them soon. I am surely going to consider visiting As-Salt when I am in Amman.

Liked by 1 person

2. Jackie S. says:

As-Salt looks like the perfect day trip to walk around. We’ll get some good leg exercises after climbing all of the stairs! Loved seeing the architecture, quiet walkways, and the market. I’m surprised to see that there weren’t other tourists in the area. Is it difficult to get to?

Liked by 1 person

3. Follow My Anchor says:

I can’t wait to go to Jordan to finally see Petra! I will fly to Amman and I thought it would be just a quick stop before heading to Petra but after reading your article I would definitely stay longer as As-Salt sounds like a cool day trip to do from Amman! Thank you for sharing this post!

Liked by 1 person

4. Epepa Travel Blog says:

I really like this place. Narrow streets, architecture … wandering there with the camera and taking photos would be in the seventh heaven. And I would definitely go to Hammam Street and do some shopping, I really like the patterns of materials in the picture. This restaurant with a panoramic view of Amman is amazing by the way!

Liked by 1 person

5. Daniel says:

Thanks for this awesome virtual walk! I visited As-Salt last year and had a great time. Your post brought back some amazing memories and made me feel like i’m there again. Keep up the great work.

Liked by 1 person

6. Medha Verma says:

I have never heard of As-Salt even though I have travelled to Jordan (and been in Amman) but it seems like a great place to explore for a day. I’d love to take the Heritage Trail, come across the Hammam Street which seems like a great place to street shop, the museums and heritage houses. Al Khader stree’s giant murals look pretty cool too!

Liked by 1 person