How Pamukkale will make you fall in love with Turkey

Located in the southwestern part of the country, this picturesque gem has been made a Unesco World Heritage site. But that’s not all you can see once you get to the glorious city. Here’s why Pamukkale will make you fall in love with Turkey.

Pamukkale13

How to get there

You’ll have to fly to Denizli’s Cardak Airport and take a 45 minute ride to Pamukkale. There are many buses designated for tourists, so do not worry about booking ahead of time. The hotel can also arrange this for you! If you opt to take a taxi into the city, it will cost you around $14.

Where to Stay

I recommend staying at the Melrose Hotels, I personally had a wonderful time. Extremely close to the park (5 minute walk) and surrounded by great little shops for souvenirs.

What to Do

Pamukkale Nature Park – start off at the park at the base. Get a peek of the fluttering birds and a pool with water slides.

PamukkalePamukkale3Pamukkale2

The Pamukkale Tavertines – One of the most beautiful destinations in the world. Pammukkale, meaning cotton castle, is a delightful space of flowing water that has created calcium deposits onto the steep slopes. Entry ticket costs 35 Turkish Lira. Check out their operating hours schedule as these change based on the season.

Pamukkale15Pamukkale14Pamukkale5Pamukkale9

Hike all the way up, past the tavertines. Once you get to a small seating area enjoy the view from the top.

Pamukkale11

Make sure to stick around for sunset.

Pamukkale7Pamukkale8

Downtown – just a small downtown area filled with small souvenir shops and restaurants.

DowntownPamukkaleShopsPamukkale

Visit the ancient Greek city of Hierapolis & enjoy the view from the top of the Hierapolis Theatre. You’ll see the remains of a Byzantine church and some other ruins.

HierapolisTheatre

Take a dip in the Antique Pool, also known as Cleopatra’s Pool. This can get overly busy, make sure to go either early in the morning or later in the evening.

AntiquePoolHierapolis

Traveling through Turkey? Make sure to read up on must-do’s in Istanbul and don’t miss out on visiting the beautiful Cappadocia – here’s everything you need to know before traveling to Cappadocia and riding hot air balloons.

Cappadocia-45

14 thoughts on “How Pamukkale will make you fall in love with Turkey

1. Erika's Travelventures says:

Just your pictures of Pamukkale are making me fall in love with Turkey! I was in Turkey just three months ago but unfortunately I only had time to go to Cappadocia and Istanbul. Someone had told me about Pamukkale before though, and now I’m really wishing I had made a stop there. I guess it’s a good reason to go back 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

2. Namita Kulkarni says:

Wow Pamukkale does look like a dream! It’s been on the top of the very first bucket list I made many years ago so this post reminded me of that 🙂 I had no idea it means cotton castle. Thank you for the useful tips and the amazing pictures!

Liked by 1 person

3. saretta109 says:

I tried to make it to Pamukkale on a day trip from Kusadasi but couldn’t make it! Now I definitely want to go back to Turkey to see this amazing site! I didn’t know it was a UNESCO site, though I’m not surprised. Stunning pictures and great post!

Liked by 1 person

4. Jackie S. says:

Every year I say that I’ll travel to Turkey and haven’t made plans. Your Pumukkale post is giving me an extra push to plan something for next year. The Pamukkale Tavertine is stunning especially at the sunset. I also want to do a hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia. Can’t wait to visit Turkey.

Liked by 1 person

5. whisperwanderlust says:

I agree with everything you said. Pamukkale is a destination not to be missed when in Turkey. I visited this summer, and I was impressed by the beautiful landscape.

Liked by 1 person

6. Jas says:

I’ve been seeing pictures of the Taverntines all over Instagram but no one really shares the exact location so thank you for not only telling us the place but the directions too! Also didn’t know the surrounding area was so beautiful with so much to do. Turkey is super high up on my list and I can’t wait to visit someday!