6 Must See Attractions in Tulum, Mexico

There is so much to do and discover in Quintana Roo, and especially Tulum that we’ve divided it up into several pieces for you! If you’re looking for best places to eat and devour authentic Mexican dishes check out our favorite restaurants here. & of course, you’re not going to be in Tulum without diving into some of the best cenotes in the Yucatan.

Now let’s go over what not to miss when you’re vising Tulum!

Tulum Mayan Ruins – beat the crowds and head to the 13th century Mayan ruins early in the morning. With the perfect beach backdrop and in the center of the Tulum beach strip, the ruins are easy accessible. The entrance fee is only 70 pesos.

TulumAttractionsTulumAttractions-2TulumAttractions-5TulumAttractions-7TulumAttractions-8TulumAttractions-10

Casa Malca – a once in a lifetime experience to walk through Colombian drug kingpin Pablo Escobar’s former mansion. Now transformed into a boutique museum/hotel. But there’s a catch, you either pay and entrance fee of 1000 pesos to take photos as you please or opt to get just one drink or meal at their restaurant the M Grill (obviously this the budget friendly option, and you still get to walk around and enjoy the historic décor).

TulumAttractions-36TulumAttractions-37TulumAttractions-40TulumAttractions-44TulumAttractions-45

Ik Lab – visit the current Instagram craze. Located next to the Azulik Hotel, this tropical art gallery is a tribute to environmentally friendly architecture. Enjoy unique a design, wavy cement walls, viney floors, perfect sunlight and tree branches everywhere. If you haul around a DSLR like I do, they’ll give you a hard time, as you have to book a photo-shoot session to use a professional camera. So make sure your phone is charged!

TulumAttractions-14TulumAttractions-34TulumAttractions-49

Get local – I went to Tulum thinking that the action is mostly at the strip of waterfront restaurants and beach clubs. However, overlooked is downtown Tulum, specifically the Bazars on Avenue Tulum – home to thousands of shops & restaurants.

TulumAttractions-25TulumAttractions-12TulumAttractions-13TulumAttractions-17TulumAttractions-19

Tulum sign – since you’re venturing down Tulum Avenue, you’ll get to spot the colorful city sign.

TulumAttractions-54

Chichen Itza – Plan a day trip to Chichen Itza, one of the new 7 wonders of the world (about 2 hours away). You can book a trip through the many offered tours, or rent your own car (travel on your time), and make stops along the way. One of our favorite pit stops was the Ik Kil Cenote, which you can see more of here!

TulumAttractions-27TulumAttractions-29TulumAttractions-30

Now there’s no way you’re in Tulum just for the attractions, the truth is – Tulum is all about the beach! If you’ve made your way to the Yucatan peninsula, make sure to explore all of the beautiful local beaches. Here are Tulum’s best cenotes & hidden beaches!

TulumAttractionsTulumAttractions

11 thoughts on “6 Must See Attractions in Tulum, Mexico

1. David says:

Chichen Itza is high up on my must visit list! I really need to get around to booking up to visit Mexico. Pablo Escobar’s mansion is quite an interesting tourist attraction too. Thanks for letting me know about the difficulties in some places with cameras too.

Liked by 1 person

2. Ben Walton-Guest says:

Tulum was actually one of our first stops on our travels this year and we had a great time! We especially loved exploring the ruins, and having drinks at Casa Malca too! So glad to see they made your list 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Jackie S. says:

Tulum looks like my kind of place – mix of historic ruins with relaxation and the beautiful beaches. Thanks for the tip of visiting the Il Kil Cenote as a stopover during the Chichen Itza. It looks stunning with the clear waters! Can’t wait to visit Tulum in the future.

Liked by 1 person

4. Follow My Anchor says:

I have been to Tulum some years ago and loved the location of the ruins with the sea view! Such a magical place! Among the other things you listed, I have only seen Tulum and Chichen Itza but also the other sites you described look absolutely interesting, especially the cenote in Tulum. Beautiful pictures too!

Liked by 1 person

5. jordinjordinsjourneyscom says:

WOW! This guide has showcased so much to do! Mexico is on my travel bucket list! Tulum wasn’t on my radar until now. I would love to hike and explore the ruins.

Liked by 1 person

6. shreyasaha1987 says:

I am intrigued by your pictures. Recently I am coming across too many blogs related to Mexico. I just came across Chichen Itza and now it’s Tulum. All the places are mind blowing and I really need to reconsider my plans for travel this year. It’s not late at all. Mexico is surely in my list.

Liked by 1 person

7. Michael says:

Omg YES! I missed out on a lot of these because I went with a friend and he wasn’t up for the level of adventure that I am! Can’t wait to go back!!!